Wise Words From Beyonslay (to larger girls wanting to skate derby)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I started derby nearly two years ago, November 2005, I weighed about 235 and was a size 18 and now I weigh 235 and am a 16. I nearly left tryouts because it appeared to me that so many of the other girls trying were skinny. Although my numbers haven't changed
much in the last two years, I am a new person—inside and out!

In the beginning I was exhausted after league practice warm up. I vividly remember looking at the other girls in my league while they were doing conditioning drills and thinking that my body was a freak of nature that was incapable of even participating in such vigorous skating. I was very lucky that I had the encouragement of bigger girls in my league who would share their struggles with endurance or achy backs. I also had people celebrate my small victories, such as making it through my first pace line (which was a full 8 months after I started derby).

My advice to you is to give yourself ample time for your body to
change as a result of your skating. It's okay if you only notice
that you're more agile or have a stronger core after a year of
derby. I continue to improve as a skater and try to push myself to do things I didn't think possible. Although I'm a born blocker,
lately I've been challenging myself to jam in league scrimmages.
This season I'm even on my league's travel team which qualified for WFTDA nationals. I never in a million years thought that I would be able to skate fast enough to keep up with such fast packs. My body's still changing, becoming firmer, more resilient and my endurance is improving. As these changes happen, I get more confident about taking risks and stepping up my game. I know I haven't hit the height of my skating curve and imagine I'll still be 235 when I do!

Surgery is very drastic and I encourage you to give yourself at
least two seasons of derby to see your body's changes before making
your final decision. I wish you the best of luck with this tough
decision. It sounds like whatever your choice, you'll have lots of
support.

Viva choice and viva la derby,
Beyonsláy, #Top 40
Gotham Girls Roller Derby (NYC)
Bootyvicious Blocker/Destiny's Problem Child...


----------------------------------------------------------------------------
total inspiration!

3 comments:

  1. I recognized myself so much in your article, althought I stil have a hard time following the pace-line !^^
    I'm Lemon Jools & I play for Paris RollerGirls. I'm 249 and don't plan on giving up soon ! I love how RollerDerby made me feel ok with my body and reaching skills I never thought possible. Thank you for sharing your experience. We use a video of you as motivation for our blockers (you hit and lifted a jamer flying over the exterior bound). You're magic and we love U here <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is EXACTLY what I needed to read right now. I have just finished my first attempt at Fresh Meat survival training and have assessments in a few days. While I know I am destined to repeat Fresh Meat, I am trying to revel in the improvements that I have made. I went from being the chick that breaks her tailbone on day ONE, to keeping up with a pace line and giving the skinny gals a run for their money when they try to pass me. I too haven't lost any pounds but have gone from a 20 to almost squeezing into 16s. I can't wait to see where derby takes me this next year and know that I will enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story sounds so familiar. I started playing derby a few months ago and I was so jealous of the skinny girls in my team. They just seem to pick things of faster and be faster.

    I'm fat, I'm okay with it, but I sometimes can't help myself think that my weight and condition have something to do with my lack of skills..

    I am inspired and I truly hope this works out for me as well as it worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete