Review & Thoughts on MADE: Roller Derby pt 2





Going into this review, it’s a little different. I went TOTALLLLLY in detail about the last one and it was super long. I still thought it was relevant, but I’m rather windy.

 This MADE episode involves a younger woman joining derby. She is more “alternative” as you could say than the last girl. I actually SAW this girl at RollerCon ’12 this year, a little bit fan girled because I knew who she was, but of course I didn’t say anything. She actually asked where my fiancé and I was from in an elevator, and in my mind I was like “I know where you are from.” Creepy and weird, yes I know.

 We are introduced to “mommy girls” ally who changed after high school to finally express her real self. Aly is a young 20 year old girl with tattoos and a sweet haircut, and she even states she is a “work in progress” and a free spirit. She seems to be growing into her self and she tells us about how she is more confident in her choices because she felt stronger and more confident after making them (like dropping out of college and coming out).

 The thing that I was confused about was that it seemed that she was already a derby player when this started. She was a newbie, and was on the B level team. Which, to me, in her location (DENVER… I mean come on) is freaking awesome. Her goal is to become a “badass a level roller derby skater.” I guess I just wish I got to see an entire journey of a girl. She already was within the community and knew her league. With it being made, you kind of want to see ALL of the experience. The hardest part of derby, well a hard part amongst many, is jut starting and finding your grove. With leagues that have like, 5 teams, being a b level skater is basically already making it, and being 20 years old shes got a while to improve without a made coach.

 One of the biggest parts of this episode is Aly’s relationship with her mother. Her mom wished that Aly chose a more professional path to life, graduating college and getting a corporate job. That is something I can appreciate, because every mom is going to want the best in the world for their daughter. Shes concerned about benefits and money and education, which are all something that I seriously think about all the time (and I’m even in and almost graduated college and freaked out about!)


2011-09-23 Game 04 Portland (Denver v Rat City)-4002
Tracy "Disco" Akers of Denver Roller Dolls! Seriously though... Photo by Masonite Burn
 Okay so now is where I tell you that this whole episode is around the DENVER ROLLER DOLLS. I mean COME ONNNN. They are such beautiful unicorns! They are in the top of WFTDA rankings! All the time! They have Team USA skaters on the team! SWOONING HARD. I mean, her teacher is DISCO. You know, the amazing derby skater who is also on Team USA. Damn those glittery beautiful helmet. I also saw Disco at RollerCon. Beautiful. Unicorn.

 I just found it weird that she already was in the league and her made coach is already within the league that she knows. I mean, they have a ton of talent to chose for a made coach. I guess I just come from a league that even the new girls knows everyone, even the vets. I know we aren’t Denver, but still…

 One thing that Aly talked about is joining derby because of the “team” environment. I can relate to this because I was needing not only to better myself, but being apart of a team. Since joining, I know that its not just a team but and extreme sisterhood that has created a new sense of family for me that is really comforting. She also talks about roller derby being tough, not just physically but mentally. I can say this: Roller derby is like, 40% physical and 60% mental for me. There is so much shit to deal with and motivation and attitude and failure and happiness to cope with. It makes your both mentally and physically stronger, and at times, weaker.

 They have 2 months until Aly has to do “Test Ups” which I guess is evaluation to be on a higher level of team. 2 months in derby is kind of an odd time. I mean, if you put your mind to it, everything can change rapidly. But, there are times of plateaus that you think you will never.get.better.

 Their first private practice, I was like dude, this girl can already skate. Therefore, I was a sore loser and jealous. BECAUSE FOR THE 1200th time I sucked so bad when I started and get jealous! Disco invited the most heavy hitters in the league to come to hit Aly. I just love seeing some sweet hip hits. Aly got her turn but it looked nearly impossible to even move them.

 Aly said in the episode that she had a lack of a support system, which was kind of hard to take because she seemingly lived with her mother, who took her coming out well, and allowed her to stay home after dropping out of college. I’d say that she does have a support system, even if its not her ideal relationship. But there is a lot of tension and seems like lack of communication through them. Aly goes to try to have an open forum about support. It seemed to go straight into a fight.

_MG_3599
Doesn't matter how good you are, you always are looking for a familiar face in the crowd to know you are supported. Photo by dbking
  Roller derby changes your relationships and your thoughs forever. Coming into such a loving, supporting family like derby really makes you change what you feel about your relationships. I know that I have come closer to my mother and Jake after we all joined derby. We start sharing all these things and we can be so real with ourselves now that its just effortless to love each other and be open and share. I am extremely lucky for that. I also know what its like to be in bad relationships and feel terrible about them and let them linger. Roller derby has given me the confidence to literally just not give a rats ass about negative people and energy who aren’t worth my time. Before actually liking myself, I would just let people take advantage and walk over me. I was needy. Now, I’m not. I’m not afraid to be honest even if I am perceived as a bitch, and I am more independent.

 One thing that I did notice during the show was that she upgraded her skates! Looks like she went from R3’s to almost like bonts with gumballs and avenger plates!

 For this eval, she needed to do 20 laps in 3:30. For wftda, it is 25 laps in 5 minutes. They are pretty similar in skating skills, but for this you need to do a lap every 10.5 seconds instead of having 12 seconds. Doing 20 would be wayyyyy better for me, because endurance isn’t my strong suit but within only the 20 laps I could pull out more than trying to save energy for the worst last 5. But looking at her, she looks like she is quick and has no problems with speed (jealous).

If you have yet to cry, please comment and tell me however you done so. Image from Pintrest.

 Disco really wanted to emphasis in hits, but especially HIP HITS. New derby girls I feel concentrate so much on shoulders, and lots of girls feel more natural with using their shoulders, but HIPS are where the power is. Of course I still often revert back to shoulder hits, but after trying to make a serious conscious effort to change I feel way better in my game. Then, Aly cried at practice. Dude, seriously, I hate it when people say there is “no crying in derby.” THERE IS SO MUCH CRYING IN DERBY. Its because you care so much! You literally go into practice and are vulnerable to critique at all times! Its hard! And showing emotion is perfectly normal and okay.

 Going into her evals, she had to do a agility test under 1:30. Her quickness was evident (shes a jammer…) and she got it with 10 seconds to spare. Along the entire thing, shes admitted her weak suit was hitting and taking hits. At first you could tell, but she improved each segment we saw her. Disco even said that the progress that Aly had made in a couple of weeks matched a couple of years of a normal skater (that is like, a huge compliment). This time, her testing was on hitting. Taking hits against some of the Denver women was not looking good for her, as would be for a lot of people. Being solid when getting hit to be able to absorb those hits are essential, especially for jammers so they can recover and score points. She ended up doing her 20 lap sprint right at 3 minutes (dude.) which is totally awesome. After, she seemed very confident.

 What I LOVED was that Disco was honest with her. I love a little tough love. In the segments, you could tell that she had a better night before when she was with disco than her evals. Disco was up front, and kind of busted Aly’s bubble. But, she is a made COACH and not just league mate in this series, so you have to commend it.
Denvers JV team. Photo credit to Dever Roller Dolls


Aly ended up scoring an “A-“ which meant she was able to be on a team- I'm guessing home team, and she was cleared for scrimmages. After semi stalking Aly, she ended up on the same Home Team as Disco on the Green Barrettes and is also playing on the “JV travel team” Bruising Altitude. Like I said, she was at RollerCon this year, so she is still with derby which makes me happy!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm Muffin, I was the test-up coordinator at the end. Aly came to our league as an experienced athlete but with no skating experience. Bont sponsored her skate upgrades. Disco worked with Aly for way way way more hours than the average derby newbie works over the course of their first few months. And, as I mentioned, Aly was already quite athletic, but she worked harder, for longer, than any rookie skater I can remember. I believe that Disco's high (and accurate) expectations helped set the standard, but Aly did the work.

    Being a "B" skater in Denver is a rating (like A-), which means that you are not yet ready to scrimmage. We put all new skaters there for a probationary period. Skaters on our "B Team" are A skaters. Confusing, I know. Aly *did* make the B-team roster a few months later.

    As for the "two months" thing, I'm pretty proud of the program that Denver has for bringing people up to our standard (mostly due to the incredible diligence and professionalism of Ariel Quigley), but two months is the *minimum*. Some skaters in our league remain "B" skaters for much longer - the longest under my tenure was a couple of *YEARS*. That's right, a skater committed to the league, practices, struggles *without the privilege of scrimmage* for years because she wanted it that badly.

    Clearly, standards like those are not without controversy, and many skaters washed. But sufficiently motivated people are challenged and supported there without question.

    I like your review a lot. If you're ever in Denver, be sure to hit up one of the eight or so metro leagues there - they're all awesome and welcoming and comprise the best derby environment in the world, in my *very biased* opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete