Protecting the Goods... Well, the Bads and Uglies too.

Roller derby is a contact sport, there is no sugar coating it. You will be falling and hit a LOT. Unlike protective gear, you cannot replace your body, so you need to protect it, and protect it well! I link to all the brands that I talked about in the bottom.
According to the WFTDA/MRDA and USARS, protective gear must be worn at all times while skating in a jam (where you score points) even to and from the penalty box. When a league is under WFTDA insurance, the coaches will also enforce this during practices. From my experience, I couldn't practice with the other girls due to my lack of all pads. ESPECIALLY at tournaments or any other place, like RollerCon, if you want to take ANY of yoru gear off, like if your helmet is making your head hot, you better be sitting or your skates better be off.

If you are interested in starting roller derby, then get your pads on!

Here are the neccessities!

You need a helmet, and it needs to be snug and actually fit! Refs will check befoe every game. Photo by Grizz Photos


 Helmet – These are  helmets that must have a hard protective shell. While before it was a skateboard helmet, I have started seing hockey helmets without facemasks as well. When you get the helmet, you need to make sure it fits your head snug and comfortable and the straps on the side need to go down around your ears like a “Y” shape. You may just think these helmets are to add to the style of the skater when it is decked out with stickers, but hitting your head on a wood or concrete floor won’t look cute without a helmet. I bought a bright pink Pro-Tec helmet that was around $24 at a skate shop, which was my first and easiest purchase.

That's a big load falling,  I need my poor palms to be protected. Photo by Grizz Photos

Wrist Guards – These will slip over your hands and need to have a hard shell on the inner wrist part. These will save your wrists when you fall on all fours. I have large hands, so I needed an X-Large in them, which were kind of hard to find. I started out with triple 8's which I got for about $20, which were alright. Then, I actually came into getting some atom ones, which I like a lot because they are lower profile and I have more function of all of my fingers. It depends on your comfort and how much protection you want. 


While you never really think about your elbows, when you fall (especially outside) on them, you'll never forget again.


 Elbow Pads – These will save your arms and elbows, and must have a protective shell on them. You will fall on your elbows often, and these won’t hurt your funny bone! Also, the hard shells on this allow the energy from the fall spread out due to the hard shell, so the impact won’t hurt (as much). I needed x-larges, so it was hard for me to find some good pads, yet I found Pro-Tec elbow pads for $16 at a roller derby shop Rock Star Skates in St. Louis, Mo. They lasted me for about a year and half, but then the bolt rusted and then just popped out of the fabric. I was kind of glad because I personally HATED the way they make my arms look. After, I finally got ones that didn't have 2 individual straps (See pic of wrist gaurds) where then my arm fat would make a gross little butt of skin. I actually upgraded and got some ones that have a stretch tube of fabric so it covers, and I think it looks much better personally. 

4 Girls, 2 types of knee pads, both of which I had. Protec is a good brand, but I love my 187s.

 Knee Pads – These are the most important. If you are going to splurge on any of your pads, I would recommend buying high dollar knee pads. These will go around your knees and must have a hard protective shell on them. The thicker the pad on the knee before the shell, the better. One thing about knee pads is that they run small. Most of these pads were made for skateboarders, and the industry must still believe that only small boys wear the pads. As a plus size girl, I had a LOT of trouble finding GOOD, SAFE knee pads that would fit. Don’t give up hope, because your knees will get mauled if you don’t wear them. You can buy specialty pads that are measured exactly for you. They may be pricey, but it is worth it if you want to be able to walk. Since I couldn’t afford special ones, I asked around my league and tried on the other girls’ pads. I found that the biggest knee pad sizing came in Pro-Tec Park Knee Pads, and they were $34 online. I had those for about a year, until my fiance got me my beautiful Killer 187 plus size ones, which were around $75! I love them, it took a while to get used to a huge buldge on me knee to skate over, but falling is not so terrible anymore. Also, 187 just recently came out with a DERBY specific knee pad. Athough, I didn't see any that were more "plus" size, but not everyone has big legs like I do. 


My crazy orange mouth from my mouthgaurd. Photo by Grizz Photos

Mouth Guard – This is not only to protect your teeth, but protect you from concussions. Concussions occur from the impact of your teeth slamming together, so you need something in between them to protect them. Also, you don’t want to knock a tooth out. You can find cheep and expensive mouth guards. I have bought two, one that was “pre molded” which I do not recommend, and a one for $2 at Johnny Mac’s that you can mold to your teeth. The molding makes for a more comfortable fit, and it is easier to breathe. The BEST and most popular mouth gaurd you are going to see in derby is the ProDent, which are now called  SiSu and can be found HERE. They come in fun colors, and you can talk/breathe/drink in them!

There are more options for you to protect yourself, too. There are padded shorts, shin guards, tailbone protectors, knee and ankle supports, chin guards, and face shields. Personally, I haven’t got any extras, and most of the girls I know don’t either, but I know a couple of times I wish I had some pads to help cushion the fall on my backside!

As a rookie in roller derby, you will want to buy good pads, but in the realistic world, affordable pads as well. You could try to find pads from other players, or just keep a good eye out for ones for pads. They are available at most skateboard and BMX shops, and also may be available at the skate shop in your roller rink that you practice on.

There are a few brands that you will see OVER and OVER and OVER again. Here is where you can look those up!

Pro-tec : Very well priced, but not the highest quality
Triple 8: Also well priced and very common, still not the best.
187 Killer Pads: Most common knee pads, but very common in other gear.
AtomGear: Made by Atom Wheels, which was started by a derby skater. These are different, innovating with new panels of foam for protection and some are lower profile. These are gaining a lot of popularity.
Pro Designed: You can get these custom to fit your body, so they are made to stay put and are great pads. These are high quality and expensive, but may be worth every penny.

1 comments:

  1. Nice post. I liked your post very much. I would like to share something that Sports 4 Change is one of the best sporting store. Anybody can buy skating helmets and skating protection online at reasonable rates.

    ReplyDelete