Things I have learned as a Not So Natural Newbie Skater.

When I started roller derby, I thought I would start off alright. The thing I learned was: I wasn't. Some people are born to roller skate, but for a lot of others, it is a lot of hard work. Here are some of the things I have learned.

The veterans don't care if you aren't as good or if you fall, all they care about is you try and get back up.


This is something I hear from one of the best players on our league over and over again. More and more each day, I am understanding what this means. The more I get experience practicing with the veteran skaters, the more I appreciate their honesty, their advice, and their patience. They have been in your skates, and feel the pressures that you do. They have seen many girls come in and try out this strange thing on derby, and have seen lots of women give it up. Don't disappoint them.



Derby is a physical and mental game.
From http://www.grizzphotos.com/


You will begin to question everything about your life. Do you have confidence? If you didn't, you will learn to have some through this. If you believe you did, then you will get broken down and rebuilt. Both ways, derby is benefitting you as a person. Are you a quitter? If you are, then you will leave, never fully understanding how much you have missed. If you aren't you will question if you really are, you will want to quit. Hopefully, you won't, and the success will be much sweeter once you realize how hard you've worked for it. Physically, this is one of the hardest things you can do. Not only do you have to teach your body new things, while on moving wheels, you have to be the predator and the prey at the same time. This will take time. For me, it will take a LONG time. Don't feel bad about it, this will make you a stronger person.



If you don't give up on derby, derby won't give up on you


If you meet a derby player, or read a derby blog or movie, one thing that is a motiff is: Derby saved/changed my life. You will meet great people, you will grow as a person, you will become healthier, and you will find a purpose. Many of the people who join derby are all different than the rest: we are all some sort of outcast, just wishing to relate to people. We have been the women who were a little different, maybe more independent, misunderstood, and possibly intimidating. That is excatly what I have found. Each girl is completely different, but we all find ways that we are exactly the same. It is refreshing.



The women of your league are your greatest asset.

They will become your best friends, your mentor, your co worker, you shoulder to lean on, or even your derby wife. No matter where you fall, or how, there will always be a girl to help pick you up. Get to know them, don't piss them off or upset them. You will be with these women a LOT. If you need help with your stops? Ask Amtasic. Need help with hits? Ask Miss Chetty Boop. Need help with fitness? Ask Psycho Suzy. Need help with inspiration/motivation/a ride to practice? Ask ANYONE. Realize that these women are not just their alter egos. Yes, some of them may look intimidating, but if you don't open up to them, they can't open up to you. Go to as many after parties as possible. These women are the most hilarious, rowdy, educated, level-headed, crazy people you have ever met. Enjoy your time with them.

Crossovers suck, but master them.
From http://www.grizzphotos.com/

One thing that one of the best girl on our leagues says that the way to be a better derby player is to be a better skater. It isn't all about hitting, you need to be a confident skater. Crossing over is a MUST know. Not only do you have to be able to do it to pass you WFTDA test, it will make you a faster skater. Skate in circles over and over again while only crossing over. This is what our league does, and it makes a world of difference. Amber Lager and Amtastic have made this very clear: learning how to actually skate is the core of roller derby. I've heard multiple times to just spend time in your skates. Doing laundry: put on your skates. Going to work: roll there. Now, there are a lot of times where I don't take this to heart, and a lot of time I miss crucial time on my skates, but I have learned from this. I have not gotten as far as I wish I was, due to not taking enough time to actually skate. Change this. You're life isn't that busy as you think.

Attitude: have a GREAT one.

This will get you noticed by the other girls, and this will make you more likeable. Everyone needs a cheerleader, and if you are one to other girls, they will be there for you. Smile, say "good job," and just interact with the other girls. I haven't become a great derby player, I haven't mastered all the skills. But with a good attitude, you open up yourself to other people wanting to work with you. If you are always negative, no one wants you to get better- it ruins the fun.


These are just some of the things. I know I could think of a million more, but i still need more blog ideas haha.

1 comments:

  1. Hey there,

    I am definitely in the "not a natural skater" category. I had to work hard and not just push through physical barriers but mental ones, too. Derby does make one question everything about themselves but in the end I got better. I didn't give up I just sucked it up and hunkered down and did the best I could do. I also stopped comparing myself to other skaters who were getting it right away. Tunnel vision became my little mantra, just focus on me, not them. The only person I need to be better than was the person I was at last practice.

    And I tell that to the new girls coming in and I see the self-doubt on their faces as they watch others just go-go-go and they're still working on the basics.

    Thank you for the great post here.

    ReplyDelete