Back to Life, Back to Derb-reality.

Last night was my first night back to SRG since we have gone into off season/since I have been gone for winter break from school. Everytime I leave for a period of time from SRG, it always is ungodly nerve racking. I have been the only player on the league who wasn't on a team for a very long time, and its safe to say that it took me exactly 1 year to find a groove to where I can say that I actually play roller derby, and am not just a poser.

Of course, when I heard that we were doing the 25 in 5 last night, i tried my best not to freak out, but couldn't help but feel the jitters all over again. It had taken me not once, not twice, but something crazy like 6 or 7 times (officially, not counting where i had failed to do it in warm ups) where I had failed. Sometimes not by a lot, maybe just seconds, but still failing in front of my ENTIRE league, the people who had seen me be horrible, who had seen me fail before, but haven't all given up on me.

My most concern was not being used to the floor, or my new skates, or just... anything!

Over a week ago, my r3 skates DIED. They had been dying for quite some time now, where the boot and the heel were being ripped apart by the plate, and i could stick my pinky toe out the side. That was all good and well, i skated like that for a couple of months (Since Beat Me Half Way). This time though, i was at an early morning skate where I was trying to hit jake and johnny crash him, and then just as I thought i was breaking my ankle, it was actually just the heal and back part of my boot ripping completely off the plate. Oops.

I feel kind of awesome that I skated in those skates until they ripped off my feet. Anyways, I had known for some time that new skates needed to be in my future, so I had prepared myself. Finding the correct boot should be a whoooolle other blog, it was a bumpy ride, but final I ended up with Vanilla Brass Knuckle 2.0's with avenger magnesium plates. Thanks a lot, savings account! I got them on Friday afternoon, and then did the 25 in 5 on them on Tuesday. Maybe my feet wanted to fall off, but whatever.

Anyways, I get to practice and am put in the first group to do it, and then, I just did it. I passed my first try. I mean, i did try to do the 25 in 5 the friday before and passed it in 25$ pacer boots, but for some reason i kept thinking that Jake just counted wrong and there was no way that I did it. But thank goddddddddd almighty, Ellen counted my laps and I passed the fucking 25 in 5. And not only did i pass, all my friends, actually everyone on the vet track that night, passed, and some of them were not giving themselves enough credit and were kind of freaking as well.

The whole time was kind of like the twilight zone. When I do the 25 in 5, i feel like i'm in this weird other world... or maybe just completely blacked out. About 2 minutes after I do it, i feel like I have no idea what happened. I'm just glad I didn't fall, even though my body really wanted to because I feel like the back track gets bumpy on one side that it makes me shaky a little, and then trying to not get TOO much in the way, even though at times i knew I had to in order to do my laps (lets get real, the people doing it with me had it in the can).

After that we did some obstacle course, then we scrimmaged. I felt pretty good besides that when I'm on the floor i completely forget any strategy that I am supposed to be doing. There was a time when Amber literally yelled at me and said "Kayla? What are you doing? HIT HER!" and I just feel I always forget to hit people haha. And, I chase a lot, but not when chasing the other jammer, but chasing when trying to hit people who are chasing MY jammer. There is a million things I need to know about strategy and derby in general, but i had such a great team last night who had so much great constructive criticism, and they were really supportive and told me that I did a good job (which when coming from Chetty, lets get real, i feel like i might pee my pants).

Overall, it just feels soooooo amazing to finally be back. I forget how much I love the people here. Laughing a lot at after practice good eats, and then just being in practice surrounded by quality people that I am really good friends with, and am truly a fan of.

Now I just need to get through drafts and catch up on my wftda retesting, and hopefully I will be able to buy a beautiful pink and black Battle Broad jersey :):)

0 comments:

Post a Comment