Thigh Thursday : Carrie "Moltov" DeArman

It has always been really my idea that I wanted to make this more a page that had a lot of other peoples words, stories, wisdoms, and motivation on this page. I also love having an excuse to message people who I don't know (YET!) to really dig in and get to know them.

Does anyone else really love skater profiles? Like, I really get pumped when I see articles, or the WFTDA Skater of the Month, or any other skaters blogs. These people are just like us! they have experienced the pain, the passion, the sweat, but they are in completely other universes it feels like! I mean, I read the WFTDA ones and they always pick legendary people who have amazing quotes and stories and derby histories...


wait a second. shit, that is all of us!

That is why I think I will NEVER get tired of this sport. I get to meet so many people who I already relate to, but they have such different journeys, experiences, goals, ect. and i find it so wonderful!

I'm getting off topic, kind of.

I'm starting a weekly feature, calling it Thigh Thursday because, come on, duh. I am asking people who I have found motivating, I have asked YOU to tell me who you find motivating, and I am reaching out and asking for their stories. Have someone you think would be amazing? Comment below, or post it on the Thighs on the Prize Facebook Page

For my first installment, I asked non other than one of the most driven, derby loving, dirty mouthed skater I know. 


The first league I skated for was Springfield RollerGirls. While I have met many amazing friends and talented athletes in that little league, there is one person I see EVERY. WHERE. I. GO. Why you say? Because Moltov LOVES  and IS roller derby, and I get so excited because I feel like we share a lot of giddiness and childlike love and adoration for this sport and the players in it.

Moltov also is looked up a lot to by her league and the people around her, because she basically goes everywhere to scrimmage, to learn, to absorb, and then she brings it back. I think its amazing, and I know it can be exhausting.

Moltov and I are also teammates on Team MO, which I love so much (reunited and it feels so good!). My fiance  - Bled Zeppelin of the Gatekeepers - was the coach for the first year, and I'm not sure which of us love her more, but he knew that she had to be a part of the team. I think its because he loves her blocking style (backwards blocking buds 4 life) and her passion and overall just ability to adapt and skate with EVERYONE, which is an amazing skill to have

I'm also going to mention, she is one of the most hilarious people I have ever met!

Okay, without fluffing her up even more, here it is! The first edition!

Photo by Ken LeBleu at Jammertime.com
Name: Carrie DeArman Skate name: Molotov League affiliation: Cape Girardeau Roller Girls Special teams/sponsors: Played with Team Missouri at the State Wars tournament and M.U.L.L.E.T (Midwest United Lovely Ladies of Excellence Team) at Midwest Derbyfest
Brief Derby History:  
Started Fresh Meat on 7/27/10. Skating history prior to that was a few seasons of rec league ice hockey and weekend trips to the skating rink during childhood. Outside of skating, I've played a lot of volleyball, basketball, softball, and track and field. 
 Why do you derby? (What's your emotional attachment?): 
I've played competitive sports my entire life, and after graduating from school there are very few opportunities to play competitive sports. As soon as I discovered derby and how great of a fit it would be for me, I was hooked. I honestly don't know what to do if I'm not working to improve myself and compete in team sports.
 What keeps you coming back when things get hard?: 
Having felt that triumphant feeling of success that comes from working past the hard times. It's a constant reminder of the rewards from sticking with the sport. I'm a junkie for that feeing.
1 word describing your relationship with derby/emotion:

PRIDE, IN BOTH MYSELF AND MY TEAM.

Photo by Jeffrey Scott Bazzell
What do you sacrifice to play derby?: 
I love derby; the sport, the people, the culture, the constant evolution, it all keeps me interested. I don't think about the things in my life that I'm missing out on because derby has everything I need.
What is your biggest struggle with the derby community?: 
I play with a small team who has not yet become an official WFTDA member league, so sometimes it's hard to get the respect of my peers as a result. My team and I work hard and take our games seriously, and sometimes I get the feeling that others don't see that in us.
What is your favorite aspect of community?:
I am fascinated by the evolution of this community and how my involvement can influence change. The rules are constantly changing, leagues have shifted their focus to athleticism, strategies are changing drastically from one tournament to the next, and all I can do is marvel at this majestic beast that is roller derby. Having played sports my entire life, there has never been an athletic community I felt more involved with or inspired by.
What is your hardest personal struggle in derby?: 
The non-derby parts of keeping a league running can get me down more often than anything that happens on track. Players are always saying they just want to skate, and of course I do too, but it takes an entire league of people doing a lot of unpaid work to keep everything going. The unfortunate truth is although my spirit is eager to help keep my league going, my poor organization and late email responses are regular frustrations for my teammates. I sometimes allow my anxieties take over and convince me not to do the necessary off-track work.
Photo by David Strong at Grizz Photos
What keeps you strong/motivated?: 
Being a leader to some really determined people keep me motivated. They want my help to get better and I'll be damned if I let them down.
Do you have a mantra? If so, share. 
"No one can beat me 100% of the time."
Bout day rituals?: 
It starts with the morning shower, where high energy music starts and doesn't stop until I get to the venue. Once at the venue, I like to get a feel for the space, even if it's a familiar place. I explore, I listen, I look at every bit of the floor and memorize the surface. It's important I feel comfortable with the venue so it's not something I'm thinking about during the game.
If you had to give advice to new skaters, or newbie you, what would it be?: 
Learn to love practices because that is the only skate time you are guaranteed. Since skaters progress at different speeds, it may be a while before you're able to play in a game. Enjoying practice also means embracing your mistakes. Don't get embarrassed when you fail. Just get up quickly and keep trying.
Photo by Jeffery Scott Bazzell
What about the version of you/newer skaters struggling with body/mental issues, any advice?: 
Sometimes you're living what feels like the worst of days and there seems to be nothing that can stop that disgusting feeling. Staying locked indoors away from others might feel like the best thing to do. My advice is to go to practice. Remind yourself that skating makes you happy. Your teammates make you happy. This sport makes you happy. Doing this has saved me dozens of times.
Name a few of your biggest influences: 
When it comes to being a leader, I look to Smarty Pants and Magnum P.I.M.P. They focus on progressing the sport, their teams, as well as themselves and have a way of teaching that inspires me to think critically. I enjoy watching them play because they aren't thinking about their next step or two, they're thinking three steps ahead.
Strength training - What is your current cross training look like?:
I do a variety of outdoor (read as "free") workouts. I live on a farm so I have plenty of tools at my disposal. Check out the Rocky IV training montage for an idea of how that usually goes.
Favorite work out?: 
Anything on stairs makes me happiest in a miserable, "need help getting off the toilet" kind of way. I'm also a big fan of things that involve tractor tires.
Specific diet/habits for games/prep?: 
Proper hydration is goal number one. I don't have a specific diet because I believe in listening to my body and what it needs.
 Resources You use: 
I watch game footage of all skill levels, attend practices with other leagues, and I collect things online and in bootcamps from skaters/coaches/derby enthusiasts about anything from gameplay to mental prep to exercises.
What current derby skills are you working on?: 
I've been working on ways to outsmart the opposing blockers while I'm jamming. Right now I'm really focusing on my body language and how I can use it to fool my opponents.
Do you have any tips for approaching practice?
I finally heard what my body was telling me, so I have to start skating really slow and easy to get my joints warmed up. I progress to using long, methodical crossovers for the entirety of the track for 5-10 laps each skating forward and backward both clockwise and counter-clockwise, focusing on my arm swing and stride. Then there is a variety of footwork drills I do on track that range from edge work to balance to agility.
I try to work on footwork in between drills or anytime I'm not directly involved with a drill. Basically I try to put my feet and body in awkward positions so I can learn to quickly and safely recover.
Photo by Kit Ruff - ShutHerUp Photography
What is/are your most proud moment(s) in derby?: 
Being on Team Missouri and not only getting the chance to play with some of the strongest women in the sport, but being able to hang with them. I feel like I gained the respect of my Team MO teammates during that tournament weekend.
Any last words?

Set small, obtainable goals for yourself. Focus on that goal every practice. Visualize yourself being achieving your goal. Apply it to drills, off skates workouts, outdoor/session skating, anytime you have the chance. Small victories add up quickly.  Go to practice. Grow with your team. Challenge one another mentally and physically. Inspire your teammates to want to get better. Be the person you admire.These shouldn't just be the goals of your captains or leaders, they should be the goal of everyone on your team.



1 comments: